Popular Posts

Monday, May 2, 2011

Amanda

Memories hurt and die
Does she remember like I do?
I sit in my room after all these years.
How improbable
To think that I would be imagining
our friendship at this moment.
Has she ever thought of me too?
Once?
Twice?
Never?
After all these years?
How stupid to be sad of a friendship dead
She doesn’t care, and neither do I
But why do I feel like crying?
It was not my fault, but, then again
It wasn’t hers.
It was all the shit our parents fed us
On religion and difference
And tolerance and persecution
All the hypocrisy and propaganda
Caused our distance
And causes my mind to drift on seas I haven’t
Sailed on in a long time.
And slowly lose myself on the black tides,
Choppy and foreign
And familiar.
A friendship lost for what?
Stupidity.
I’ve seen you, but we cannot speak like we used to.
I’ve see your face reflected in the churning
Currents next to me,
Distorted.
And when it clears for that split second
Between waves, I see us, Amanda,
Young and free again.
We could be…
No we can’t.
I can only hold on to that second
For so long.
Close my eyes and close my heart
Like our parents did for us so long ago
And told us to.
I’m so sorry, Amanda.
I see you, Amanda...
But we can never be the same,
I hold on to the past so sweet
and brave against the present so bleak
and keep walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment