Popular Posts

Friday, May 13, 2011

A Good War


My Grandpa says he’s gonna have a war with God tonight.
“A good war” he says,
“A good war”

He knows his time is coming
But he doesn’t want to leave until the time is right

He loved my Nanny,
My Poppy did.
He loved her more than he did life,
Than the world,
What a good girl his Marie was
“What a good girl”.

She had cancer,
And though she was strong:
“I’m ready, I’ll fight it”,
She used to say with a smile,
I wish she wasn’t wrong.

“I was supposed to go first” my grandpa cried when she he knew she wouldn’t make it.
The pain was too much for her to stay awake,
Medication,
And sedation,
This was the first time
I saw my Nanny with no strength,
Even for a smile.

Just a week for her to be taken from him
Just a week for her to be taken from me

Hurt was the only word she managed,
Or so we thought,
Because she was strong (and, oh-so full of love)
That when the time was right,
Her time was near,
And as he cried,
Cried, right by her bedside,
She kissed him
And said:
I love you and goodbye

My Grandma, so strong,
Taken from me in days.
I wish I had more time, fourteen years of life
Is not long enough;
Fifty years of marriage,
Was still not long enough.

“It was supposed to be me” he said
“I was supposed to go first”

Two years later and you’re just getting worse
The strength you found in Grandma left you
She was taken from you
This curse,
This solitude,
I knew you couldn’t live without her.

So is that why you’ve decided to go?
For her?
Because you think the time seems right?
She loved you, you know,
And you loved her too.
And now you let your love show,
You let go of your body
For her, so you can see,
So that your mind,
With her,
Will finally be free.

I’ll miss you Poppy, when you go,
But if you time is right
I’ll let you sleep,
I’ll let you go
To be with my Nanny tonight

You will finally be with your Marie tonight

“What a good girl” he whispers
“What a good girl”

You’ll finally be with your Marie tonight

My Grandpa says he’s gonna have a war with God tonight
“A good war” he nodded, slowly thinking,
“A good war”.

No comments:

Post a Comment